One-hundred women, including women who were undocumented, had the courage to be arrested for immigration reform that treats women fairly and keeps families together. We Belong Together's Women's Civil Disobedience for Fair Immigration that Treats Women Fairly, Photographed Sept. 12, 2013. (Chris Beecroft for We Belong Together)
Accounting and Operations Manager
Unbound Philanthropy is an independent grantmaking foundation that works in the field of migration to transform long-standing but solvable barriers to the human rights of migrants and refugees and their integration into host societies. We seek to strengthen social, civic, and economic opportunities and relationships of mutual responsibility and respect across communities. Unbound Philanthropy has a team of 14 people, working in the US and UK, and operates with an annual budget of approximately $14 million.
The Accounting and Operations Manager is based in the New York office and has responsibility for the organization’s full range of accounting functions, from accounts payable to journal entries and reporting, as well as detailed reconciliation and financial analysis. Other primary duties include evaluating and maintaining internal controls, overseeing online banking activity, managing Information Technology and Human Resources areas, and championing the internal partnership with Grants Management. This role is expected to leverage data and systems as strategic assets while working across functional areas to educate, solve problems and innovate.
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
Rigorous maintenance of transaction flow and data accuracy/timeliness in the accounting system (Intacct), including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Time & Expense, Budget and Reporting modules.
Management of banking relationships, signatory records, online activity and users, and weekly cash position reports.
Managing all aspects of monthly closings:
o Payroll, benefits, and balance sheet journal entries, including foreign exchange analysis.
o Bank (US and UK) and investment account reconciliations and journal entries.
o Data consolidation for detailed cash flow forecast; financial report production and distribution; budget-vs-actual analysis; and balance sheet reconciliations.
o Detailed reconciliation between Intacct and grants management database (Fluxx); ensuring visibility for all parties on information that may have compliance or reporting implications; monitoring and analysis of Foundation Administered Project (FAP) activities.
· Lead annual audit preparation (UK and US), and organize filing of 990PF tax return.
Develop, document and communicate accounting procedures and/or policies across the organization; update Accounting Processes and Procedures Manual regularly.
· Provide analysis and reports for Grants Committee and Board meetings.
· Contribute to planning, development and management of Unbound’s operating budget.
· Maintain strict and timely compliance with regulatory filing deadlines and requirements; maintain vendor files and contract documentation.
Applications and Technology
· Educate and support employees on cloud-based network use; maintain Finance and Operations folder structure and file storage.
· Liaise with IT vendor to troubleshoot network system issues, support user inquiries and education, and facilitate equipment orders.
· Manage and administer multiple applications, some of which interface with Intacct, to facilitate efficient processes and cross-functional reporting.
o Master expense/time/credit card tracking software (Nexonia), and maintain company-level and user info.
o Update and reference Fluxx; work with Grants Management team to ensure regulatory compliance and reporting efficacy.
o Enter transactions and ensure proper monitoring and approvals for payroll (ADP) and other online platforms (401K, FSA/DCA, banking and credit card accounts, etc.).
· Continuously build understanding of and evaluate automated and manual processes (e.g. e-approvals, cross-departmental workflow, chart of accounts structure, credit card feeds, paperless back-up) to innovate and streamline administrative tasks.
· Maintain Unbound’s Employee Manuals and staff records (US and UK).
· Manage payroll system/processing, maintenance and implementation of staff benefits, including use of provider websites, and data reporting for various filing and census requests.
· Support research and recommendations for benefit renewals and providers.
· Organize planning and communications for the annual performance appraisal process.
· Serve as first point of contact for staff on benefits and compensation inquiries.
· Oversee orientation and onboarding for new employees.
Facilities and Equipment
· Maintain supply inventory and budget for small equipment and peripherals.
Maintain workspace and network credentials for new and departing employees.
Other duties as assigned or requested.
Qualifications and Experience:
· Minimum accounting experience of 5 years in a non-profit environment; job history should reflect a depth of responsibilities: hands-on data entry and management, policies and procedures, ownership of financial reporting and analysis, leadership of complex projects, and management of external relationships (vendors, banking, auditors, board/committee, etc.). Supervision of others is not necessary, but a plus.
· Expert proficiency in accounting systems and Microsoft Office. Familiarity with Intacct is highly desirable, as is a demonstrated facility with other software platforms like Nexonia.
· Extensive reconciliation experience, ideally with foreign currency. Competency with online banking, wire transfers and credit card automation is also needed.
· Some experience managing or supporting HR and/or IT is needed; including drafting written communications, emails, guidelines, etc.
· Thorough understanding of budget development and auditing principles/procedures; strong knowledge of GAAP, pertinent Federal, State and local laws, tax code and regulations related to 501c3 organizations.
· First-hand knowledge of working in a small team environment, and with offices and vendors in other countries, is strongly preferred.
· Previous foundation or grantmaking experience is a big plus.
· Superb problem-solving skills with a knack for asking the right questions and keeping relevant people in the loop to get the job done or improve how we do it.
· Intuitive aptitude for data analysis and the focus and attention to detail it requires; motivated to produce high-quality results.
· Ability to build structure and systems while being flexible, collaborative and contributing actively to a very positive team environment.
· Strong communications skills, with ability to clearly interpret sometimes opaque policies or regulations, and to motivate compliance wherever possible.
· Ethical and principled – solid judgment and discretion, self-aware, and quick to offer help.
· Level of intellectual curiosity that prompts regular exploration of new concepts and trends.
· Relationship-builder who enjoys coaching and educating at all levels.
· Commitment to being in a service role and supporting a greater mission.
Deadline for applications is May 31, 2017
Cover letters and resumes should be sent to AOM.email@example.com.